Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How Do Nicknames Start?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sister, Dolly!

Of course, Dolly is not her real name and this is how she got to be nicknamed Dolly.  I was 3 years old when she was born and I kept calling her "a little doll", and that becaame Dolly.  The year before my baby brother was born and I kept calling him "little man" and he became Manny for the rest of his life.

Since I was the oldest, I never got a kickname.  That is why I sometimes use the short version, Vel.

                                 I love this picture of the three of us, Manny, Vel and Dolly


When I was 10, my little sister was born.  She was named Leona and nicknamed Nonie. Here she is with our sister-in-law, June, Nonie is in the middle and the birthday girl, Dolly.



                  If today, June 18th is also your birthday, then this SendOutCard is for you.



Some famous people who were born on June 18th are:

Blake Shelton turns 37
Paul McCartney turns 71
Nathan Morris turns 42
Scooter Braun turns 32
Isabella Rosselini turns 61
Roger Ebert (1942-2013)
Sandy Alomar turns 47
Antonio Gates turnss 33
Richard Madden turns 27
Dizzy Reed turns 50
Willa Holland turns 22
Renee Olstead turns 24
Anna De la Garza turns 37
Max Records turns 16
Brian Benben turns 57
Derek Stepan turns 23
Alan Davis turns 57

On June 18, 1983, Sally Ride became the first woman in Space.

On June 18, 1928, Aviator Amelia Earhart was the first woman to fly in an aircraft across the Atlantic Ocean.

On June 18, 1971, Southwest Airlines launches in Texas, creating a ne breed of airlines called low-fare carriers.

                                              SOMETHING TO SMILE ABOUT




Thanks for stopping by today.  Hope to see you again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment