Monday, June 24, 2013

Is The Whole Country Watching ND?

Part 2, Welcome back.

The bills passed by the ND Legislature in March, bar abortions if a fetal heartbeat is heard, which can be as early as 6 weeks into a pregnancy;  ban abortions prompted by genetic defects and require abortions doctors have admiting privileges.  They become law on August 1st unless a court blocks them.

In today's newspaper it says that North Dakota residents will vote in 2014 on a ballot measure that defines life as starting at conception.

Roe v Wade a 1973 Supreme Court ruling, legalized abortion until a fetus can survive outside the womb, usually at about 24 weeks.

It was just learned today, that Texas lawmakers have just approved a very strict Abortion law at the end of a Texas Legislature's special session.  Senate Bill 5 will ban abortion after the 20th week of pregnancy, require doctors to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals and limit abortions to surgical centers.

Letters to the Editor in the Bismarck Tribune went something like this.......

PRO
"Thank you Gov. Jack Dairymple for signing HB 1350, HB1456 and SB2305.  Growing up in North Dakota has forced me to shrug off all the bumpkin, redneck hetoric with which much of the nation has flagged our state.  So it is with great pleasure that I listen to the news reporters and read articles praising a job well done in our state.  And rightly so, for the citizens of North Dakota enjoy the lowest unemployment in the nation, low taxes, a budget surplus, the cleanest air, high test scores and have now acted to become the safest state for the pre-born."

CON
"Emotional zealotry trumped good goverance on the reproduction rights issues.  By not vetoing the bills sent to him, Gov. Jack Dairymple avoided the wrath of the zealots who are intent on tearing the Republican Party apart, not to mention the cost they have imposede on us, the taxpayers, to defend the constitutionality of these over reaching laws.

Disappointed?  Yes, I am.  As a conservative Republican woman, I truly hope for better, but we lose some and we win some."

Facebook chimmed in.......

Steve Metzger wrote:  "I, like most, listened in horror to the story of the mother who drowned all of her children in the bath tub.  Not one person says it was OK!  We were all shocked!  But many of you go on a forum like this and with rage in your heart, rage against the state because it doesn't want you to kill your unborn baby.  I don't see any difference.  It is rare that I am a single issue person, however this is one of those that I cannot help.  I just don't want to hear or see your vile crap about WHY you think you should be allowed to kill unborn babies. I refuse to go to my grave, hopefully to face Jesus, and try to explain to him how I even gave your view one second of my time."

In response to Steve's comments, Karen Silbernagel Danley wrote:  "I respect your desire to speak your thoughts.  In respect for myself, I respectfully disagree with you.  I have never had an abortion
and I absolutely LOVE children.  However I do not think it is anyone's right to legislate that I would have to carry a child that was the result of rape, or put the baby's life above mine, or force me to carry a child that was severely deformed.  I am not saying I wouldn't choose these options if faced with these decisions, however, I do not believe it should be legislated.  The decision is much more complicated."


I will finish this article tomorrow.

If today, June 24th is your birthday, then this SendOutCard is for you.



Some famous people who were born on June 24th are:

Joe Penny turns 57
Minka Kelly turns 33
JJ Redick turns 29
Michele Lee turns 71
Mick Fleetwood turns 66
Sherry Stringfield turns 46
Kevin Noland turns 31
Petra Nemcove turns 34
Betsy Randle turns 58
Christie Patricia Rampone turns 38
Kathryn turns 69
Phil Harris (1904-1995)
Liane Balaban turns 33

SOMETHING TO SMILE ABOUT


Thanks for stopping by today.  Hope to see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment